Well, the parade for Yorkfest was last Saturday, and it started at 10:00 a.m., which I thought was a great time. I read something in the paper this morning, and had to chuckle. And I quote, "Having a parade on a fall Saturday, he said, will always assure conflict with Husker football. .... Do we keep doing it in competition with NU football, and hope for the best, or do we move it to ......." The article was about Yorkfest and whether to continue the tradition. The conflict with football was only one of the concerns, but I thought that it was quite an interesting concern to get specific mention in the paper. 
For those of you who don't follow college football, we are in "Husker" land. The University of Nebraska Huskers are our college team (we have the "Huskers" and Shane makes fun of the Diggers? =>), and several people here have Husker banners, flags, trucks, boats, shirts, rocks with the Husker logo in their yard, etc.... It's kind of crazy if you're not a sports fan. Well, college football started a couple of weeks ago, and the "Big Red Rush" is on. (Red is the team color.) Saturdays are the day for college football, and the town empties during the game. Either people are at the stadium or at home, watching the game, and everything else gets planned around the game. I think the games start around 11 or 11:30, so now I see why people were worried about the start time, or end time, of the parade conflicting with start time of the game. I did notice that people beat a beeline after the game for somewhere. It must have been to get to the game. How funny! Maybe if Shane and I stay here long enough, we'll join the Big Red Rush and worry about planning things around the game, too.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Update to Yorkfest
Posted by Shane at 11:25 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I was always amazed that even in the big city of Omaha, everything shut down for Husker football . . . it was like a ghost town. And I must say, I had to adjust to liking red (go cougar blue!)
haha my sis in law is a huge husker fan and that is where she went on her mission (got home in jan.)she was a huge husker fan and so thrilled to go there on her mission. i know how it is with sports. when we lived in minnesota it was the same with the vikings and i hate the vikings so didn't work well haha have lots of fun.
Post a Comment